TPLF Central Committee is soon to start a critical evaluation. My message is stay focused on the fundamental issues, please! – the fundamental economic and political issues that are the root causes of the current crisis. Stop diagnosing the symptoms (i.e., master plan, kimant, konso, welkayet, narrow nationalism, chauvinism, etc - as these are derivative of the main root causes).
Below are some of the issues that should be discussed:
- Population Growth
- Low Production in Agriculture and Manufacturing
* Income Inequality
- Wastage and mismanagement of government resources
- National Bank of Ethiopia/Monetary Policies
* Cash circulation
** Bond purchase scheme (27% requirement)
** Long-term lending restrictions (40/60)
* Export regime
* Foreign capital
- Lack of good governance
* Rule of law
* Accountability and Transparency (the need for for free media, institution based check & balance, separation of party and government).
* Inclusiveness (others with different political views should have a role to play in the fate of the country).
- Eritrea (No more 'no war no peace' policy. An out of the box policy ought to be designed to serve our strategic economic and political interest. We need to start talking and negotiating with the Eritrean government).
- Political leadership paralysis
* Lack of authoritative figure
* Lack of cohesive and committed leadership
* Rent seeking, opportunism, and incompetence